To all our popular African recipes lovers, today we bring you another whole food plant-based recipe. We are coming to you with this healthy best banana bread recipe, that we picked out of our Liberian foods files. Our Liberian rice bread is easy to make, and along the way, you will find us using plant-based ingredients that may be new to you. We are here to broaden your taste buds and recipe drawer. Now sit back (or stand in your kitchen) and allow us to enlighten you with our savory banana recipe! Love traditional African pastry and desserts? Dare to bake at home with this fun DIY Liberian rice bread recipe.
Why make this whole food plant-based recipe?
We mostly showcase cooking recipes and not baking recipes. But this healthy best banana bread recipe is worth the extra hustle. You might be wondering, What is this savory banana recipe? Well, rice bread is a traditional gluten-free bread, made from cream of rice; yes the hot cereal kind. Rice is a staple of Liberia. You can incorporate it into many different popular African recipes, in different ways. From basic rice to rice flour for breakfast porridge. The amazing taste reminds some who may have grown up in Liberia of home and their childhood.
If you would like to add more rice to your diet, you can try our Dry Rice with Palm Oil.
Wholesome Liberian rice bread ingredients
We mentioned that this healthy best banana bread recipe has ingredients that may be new to you. A lot of popular African recipes are not Plant-based-friendly. But this savory banana recipe uses ingredients that allow it to qualify as a whole food plant-based recipe. Ingredients include:
- Flax egg– this is a common vegan egg substitute. Prepare it by mixing flaxseed meals and water. Simple, but maybe not satisfying. The mixture may not look great. But, according to food researchers, flax seeds are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Their value makes them healthy as they aid in digestion. Worth the texture, and end result.
- Cream of rice– this is a type of cereal, made from finely or coarsely ground white or brown rice. It is gluten-free, and can even be made at home! Cream of rice is plant-based-friendly as well, giving it a point over regular wheat flour. It is also packed with nutrients, such as iron and magnesium. Health practitioners say, enough iron promotes a healthy pregnancy and increased energy. It is vital to blood health. Magnesium is also vital. Health bloggers claim it may support healthy blood sugar levels, as well as promote heart health.
- Bananas– Okay, I’m sure we’ve all heard of bananas. But they are still worth mentioning for their benefits in this healthy best banana bread recipe. Some people actually try to avoid bananas. Yet this beautiful, golden fruit is still beneficial. It is a key ingredient in our Liberian rice bread, and in many other popular African recipes. Health practitioners claim that the vitamin B6 and potassium in bananas can help stop your body from retaining water. As a result, leaving you feeling less bloated. You’ve heard of, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Well, nutrition researchers claim one to two bananas a day is a good amount for a healthy person.
Liberian rice bread or rice-based banana bread is a quick and easy snack recipe. It is a moist, dense loaf with a rich sweet banana taste and fresh ginger.
Fun fact: Bananas are actually berries, and raspberries aren’t?!? Wuh?
Warning: Flax egg is best used in dense baking recipes, trying to make an omelet will not end well. chey!
Related: How to make flax egg?
The only thing left to do now is let your stovetop rest and show your oven (and later your stomach) some love with this whole food plant-based recipe. It is a great use of healthy ingredients, and a great recipe to explore. If you like it, subscribe to our free newsletter for more, and share it with a friend! Now we present to you, our Liberian rice bread recipe, go bananas with it!
Juicy Liberian Rice Bread Egg-free
Juicy Liberian rice bread is a whole food plant based recipe that is tasty, filling and easy to make. Popular African recipes are renowned for their richness and heartiness and it is safe to say that Liberian rice bread does not disappoint.
As a whole food plant based recipe as well as a savory banana recipe, Liberian rice bread does not require too much sugar, making it a healthier option, yet still extremely delicious!
When you have ripe bananas sitting around, making Liberian rice bread is a great way to utilize them!
- 1 cup cream of Rice (Hot Cereal)
- 2.5 TBSP Sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBSP ginger
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (avocado oil)
- 5 Ripe Bananas
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 3 TBSP Flax Egg (link to recipe in Recipe Notes below)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Wet Ingredients.
- Peel 5 bananas and place in a large bowl. Mash the bananas well with a fork. It should be smooth but has some lumps.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add 3 tablespoons of flaxseed binder (plant-based egg substitute). see the notes for link to recipe for flaxegg
- Then, add ¼ cup of almond milk
- Add ¼ cup of vegetable oil (preferably avocado oil).
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger and mix these ingredients well.
Now, we place the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- First, Set the oven to 420℉. Place 1 cup cream of rice in a bowl.
- Add a ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Then, add a ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Next, add 2.5 tablespoons of sugar. Omit or reduce the amount of sugar if you taste the bananas and they are very sweet. You may use maple syrup or honey too.
- Then, mix well until combined.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until all is combined.
- Use 1 teaspoon of oil to grease the baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and place on the middle rack of the oven.
- The oven should be heated up at 420℉ so pop your baking mixture in the oven and leave to bake for 1 hour. Do check back after 30-40mins depending on your oven it may cook faster.
- Take out of the oven after an hour, test the bread by sticking a tooth pick and if it comes out dry and the top of the bread of dark brown, that means it is cooked. Allow the bread to cool in the baking pan and remove from the baking pan before serving.
- Cut as desired and the bread is ready to eat.
Using flax egg, which is a combination of water and crushed flaxseed, creates a gelatinous paste which is a great vegan substitute when it comes to an alternative for eggs. It definitely does not get better than this healthy best banana bread recipe which can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Fax-egg recipe: https://humblevege.com/easy-flax-seeds-recipe-as-egg-substitute/
As one of the Popular African recipes, Liberian rice bread is a must try! It is moist; filling and scrumptious.
Try this recipe out in your kitchen and leave us a comment to let us know how your Liberian rice bread turns out!