Liberian food recipes are well known for their flavor and simplicity but have you ever had the absolute pleasure of indulging in a bowl of kidney bean stew? If not, allow me to introduce you to an amazing Popular African food that might change your world. As one of the best plant-based food recipes, this is a simple, straightforward meal. It is one of the west African recipes that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
Ehhh Mehn. I really want to remember the beans song we sang Oooo! Aaa mehn!! Liberians reading this, comment below the name of the beans song. Anyway, bean stews have always been my comfort-soul food even on my meat-eating days. Chaley! As one of the spectacular West African recipes, this soup tastes fantastic even without meat. With its rich creamy, flavorful, beautiful aroma and hearty taste, kidney bean stew will make you go kolo mental. Better yet, with this popular African food you will receive great nutrition and be left feeling satisfied
One of the Popular African Food
As one of the Liberian food recipes, kidney bean stew is a slow-cooked plant-based meal that is packed with flavor. There are numerous ways to make this bean stew and one can add various spices as they see fit. This west African recipe contains carbohydrates which are crucial nutrients in our daily diet. As a plant-based meal, hefty kidney bean stew has numerous nutritional benefits. Researchers claim kidney beans can help with reduced cholesterol; weight loss; and improved heart health. In addition, its simplicity as an easy-to-make meal makes it a true go-to meal for anyone. Be sure to have a look at other plant-based recipes from Humble Vege that are simple and easy to make.
Related: Creamy Spicy Cranberry Bean Stew
Liberian Food Recipes Offers Many Health Benefits
As a member of the best plant-based food family, not only is this meal creamily delicious, but it also has numerous health benefits as well. Benefits include controlled blood sugar and weight management as well as other benefits that make kidney bean stew a great meal option. Don’t believe me? My waistline is proof and I don’t exercise routinely, I simply stretch and go for light walks. Kidney beans, the main ingredient in this popular African food, have a high vitamin and mineral content, such as manganese, iron, folate, and potassium to name a few. These are all highly beneficial to our bodies and kidney bean stew ensures one has a wholesome and balanced meal. As always, consult with your health practitioner.
Why give this best plant-based food a chance?
Liberian food recipes such as this kidney bean stew are nutritious, tasty, and easy to make. Oh, your wallet will thank you too. Not all Africans in Liberia are struggling and the smart ones appreciate when affordable ingredients like this can make their paycheck go far. Learn from Liberians and adapt this recipe to your healthy habits, you will love it. Note, this popular African dish can be enjoyed with a side of fresh bread over lunch or dinner, shared with family and friends. Fellow Liberians know that it is a criminal offense for West African recipes to be bland or lacking in flavor and so indulging in well-seasoned kidney bean stew is an undeniably good idea! You don’t necessarily have to add fiery spices to make it taste good, simply follow our method of preparation.
Please take a picture of your beautiful creation and share it with us on social media @humveg.
- 1 Onion Dice
- 7 oz Seitan Protein
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2 Cans of Kidney Beans (15oz/each)
- 2 TBS oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Half cup water
- 2 cups Vege Broth
- 1 habanero
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil OR any oil of choice and warm until shimmering.
- Sauté 1 onion diced and 2 garlic cloves minced until they are soft, turned translucent, and fragrant for about 5 minutes.
- As it cooks, mash one can of kidney beans. Depending on the amount of beans you're preparing, the idea is to mash up at least half of it. There're many ways of achieving this, I had the beans in a bowl and used a salt shaker to mash them up😁. You can use a potato masher or the back of a fork or just about anything that can do the job.
- Add both the mashed and whole beans together in the pan and stir until they're well combined.
- Add 1 habanero pepper, and 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste and mix them well.
- Pour in 2 cups of Vege broth and stir. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, half a cup of water and 7 oz seitan protein. Feel free to use any protein you'd like. Stir to mix them in.
- Cover the saucepan and let the kidney bean stew boil on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Hmm, the aroma is so inviting. Stir from the bottom to ensure it's not sticking at the bottom of the pan. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- The result is a thick juicy and ooh so delicious kidney bean stew. Turn off the heat and serve. Enjoy it as is or serve over rice or with your favorite carb.
- Traditional Liberian food recipes use dry beans for this recipe. Therefore, if you prefer to cook your own beans, you certainly can. Only that it'll take longer and may require prior planning.
- This is the best plant-based food as it is inexpensive and so versatile- countless options to serve it with.