Tofu: a soy product rich in protein and great for all plant-based cooking. Another animal protein substitute for the win. But tofu comes in many types; from silken to super firm. Today, we will explore firm tofu; specifically how to fry firm tofu. When you look at it, you may wonder what to do with firm tofu. It has a texture like feta and it has the most uses out of all the tofu types. This means recipes with firm tofu are plenty. Fried firm tofu is one of them.
What to do with firm tofu
The difference in tofu types is the water content. This affects how delicate they are. Firm tofu can be fried and simmered. But, fried firm tofu won’t crumble like it would in a simmer. It can be used as a replacement for ricotta cheese, in case you have a vegan lifestyle. Recipes with firm tofu aren’t limited, and they are delicious and nutritious too! According to studies, tofu is low in sodium and high in plant-based protein. This is why tofu is a popular meat substitute and why we want to show you how to fry firm tofu. But if you’re allergic to soy, don’t worry, seitan is another option. And its uses are basically like what to do with firm tofu.
For more food substitute ideas to fit your lifestyle, you can check out this egg substitute.
The best recipes with firm tofu
In some recipes, different types of tofu can be used. But a certain one may just work better. For example, extra firm tofu can be fried. But the latter absorb more flavor. You may soon realize that how to fry tofu with this recipe is an essential kitchen skill. Why? Because you will fall in love with it in your upcoming recipes with firm tofu. But hey, the proof is in the pasta, so try this Tofu pesto pasta!
Fried firm tofu is tofu-rrific!
Once you learn this exciting skill and incorporate it into dishes, you’ll wonder how you ever managed before you knew what to do with firm tofu. Think we are exaggerating? Try it out! Let us know what you think of recipes with firm tofu.
- Firm tofu (desired amount)
- 2 tablespoons oil (do not use coconut oil)
- Black pepper (desired amount)
- Pink Himalayan sea salt (desired amount)
- Roasted garlic and herb seasoning (sprinkle)
- Take your packaged tofu, open it and pour the liquid out down the drain. Be gently through this process as the tofu could slip out the packaging.
- Gently tip your tofu onto a plate and use a napkin or cotton cloth to dry the tofu. Do this by carefully dabbing the tofu and allowing the napkin or cotton cloth to soak up the liquid. Squeeze gently to soak up as much water as possible.
- Next, grab a sharp knife and cut your firm tofu into desired sizes.
- Now the big question, how to fry firm tofu? Place a pan on the stove on low to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan.
- Next, we will season the firm tofu with Black pepper, Pink Himalayan sea salt, garlic herb seasoning and roasted garlic and herb seasoning. Be sure to season both sides of the firm tofu.
- Gently place your tofu into the pan once it has heated up and allow it to fry. When the firm tofu has browned, gently flip it over so the other side can cook as well.
- Once both sides of the firm tofu have browned, you can remove it from the pan and serve it with a dish of your choice. This yummy and well seasoned firm tofu is simply delicious! Now you know how to fry firm tofu.
If you have ever wondered how to fry firm tofu in the best way then this is it! So be sure to try out this recipe and share it with your friends! Feel free to send us a picture of how your firm tofu turns out on our social media @humveg.