Truth is, rice can be rather boring on the second day. African fried rice is your perfect fix for left-over brown rice. It is delicious and has an exciting variation of textures. This quick-service stir fry rice is way better than any restaurant take-out fried rice. Liberian tofu fry rice recipe is light on your wallet and your waistline too.
Rice is the easiest quick-fix meal for lunch or dinner. Ordinarily, the question is what to add to make it a tasty, healthy, and complete meal. This one-pot blend of brown rice, mixed vegetables, and tofu is a sure bet. You can also learn how to transform store-bought sauce and enjoy it with your bowl of rice.
How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice
If you end up with burnt rice, it’s not your fault. Just turn it into a tasty drink!
This tofu fry rice recipe requires solidly built rice that will not easily turn boggy. Keep in mind that there’s no universal method of cooking rice. This is because of its different variations. So, the secret is in choosing the right variety and using the appropriate cooking method.
It’s not rocket science, right?
Tofu Fry Rice Forgiving Ingredients list
Isn’t this the best? What vegetables, protein, and seasoning to use is a decision that is yours to make. In other words, you can customize this meal with your favorite add-ins to suit your taste buds. The only two essential ingredients for tofu fry rice are pre-cooked rice and cooking oil.
Furthermore, chilled brown rice is ideal. Brown rice has a wealth of nutrients and if thoroughly chilled- not frozen, it will fry well when it lands on the hot pan.
Stir fry rice is sweet, spicy, salty and I love how firm the vegetables are. I’m such a sucker for corn. This African fried rice recipe is plant-based; check out the video tutorial for details… wink*
What vegetable do you like? Comment below and also try out our BTL pasta recipe with plant bacon as a healthy one-pot simple meal idea. I can rave and rant about how delicious this tofu fry rice is but you need to taste and believe.
More Humble Vege Recipes
- 1LB Mix veges
- 1/3 cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 block Tofu seasoned & fried
- 1 TBSP Soy sauce
- 1 TBSP garlic mince
- Half yellow onion chopped big
- 1 TBSP ginger paste
- half tsp Five Spice Seasoning
- 2 TBSP vege oil
- 1.5 TBSP Sesame Oil (OPTIONAL)
- ¼ tsp salt & pepper
- 1.5 cups chilled cooked Rice
- Heat Vege oil in a wide cooking pan between medium and high heat.
- Saute garlic and ginger until they turn golden brown.
- Saute half onion chopped for less than a minute.
- Move the mixture over to one side of the pan and saute frozen mixed vegetables on low medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add Five Spice seasoning and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add chilled cooked rice and seasoned fried tofu.
- On top of this, pour Teriyaki sauce and stir fry between medium and high heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix it well to ensure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add sesame oil (optional) and mix it in.
- Taste it with a fork and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve it hot and enjoy...
- To have a crispy feel, don't overcook the vegetables.
- Store leftovers in an airtight bowl and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Use chilled-not frozen, cooked rice because it fries well.
- Also, use a non-stick or cast iron pan so that the rice doesn't stick on the bottom of the pan as it cooks. If either of these is unavailable, any pan will do- just be a bit keener with stirring.