This vegetarian Lima beans okra stew connects me to fond childhood memories. Back then my mother would make a mushy version of okra stew recipe, which is a traditional Liberian food recipe, I didn’t care for it at the time. Life takes a different turn, during my college days when I was very broke, I experimented with different recipes and developed unique ways how to cook okra. This lima bean okra stew recipe is my unique perfect version, filled with eccentricity and a history of trial and correction. The fact that I’m sharing this with the world wide web should tell you how confident I am about my version of Okra stew recipe. It is juicy, filling, tasty, and cuts back the slime drastically.
Liberians love savory spicy okra foods
Undoubtedly, my Liberian background inspired this okra stew recipe, and you will notice Liberians eat a lot of okra and cook it differently, as evident in this red oil okra stew. Okra is an integral part of our culture and Liberian food recipes. The most common recipe is Liberian fried Okra which has a great consistency and native Liberians love it. Most people misjudge okra because of its slime and I was able to reduce the slime accidentally, through experimentation. Love okra stews? You will want to subscribe to our free newsletter for updates on new inspirations.
Related: Lofa Kissi Red Oil Soup
Fatty oil beans okra stew benefits
Obviously, being plant-based means there’s no meat on your table, so to balance every meal that you have it is essential to think about protein and fat options. Lima beans okra stew recipe provides ample fat from avocado oil, lima beans, and wheat gluten protein. These aspects not only add taste and texture, but you also get much-needed protein in this dish. The main ingredients constitute various nutritious content and essential vitamins which I will delve into below.
Gains from Lima beans or butter beans
Lima beans also known as butter beans have a light buttery and creamy taste. Its creamy texture essentially helps add quality to any dish. Note, butter beans can soak up flavors from your dish which will wow your taste buds. Also, Lima beans have a high protein content, but very low caloric content, thus it could be an ideal food to eat if you want to lose weight. Butter beans are also rich in antioxidants.
Okra is an unappreciated Fruit
Okra is a great source of vitamin B, vitamin C, calcium, and fiber. Did you know okra is a fruit? That is what internet scientists claim. Listen, it doesn’t matter to me if it is a vegetable or a fruit, I will forever love okra. It is delicious and it makes me feel amazing after each meal. Why do you think most Liberian food recipes incorporate variations of it? Clearly, its textures and flavor light up any dish. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to taste the best Okra recipes including my Liberian Fried Okra with kittely. Therefore, this Liberian food recipe can be the experiment you never know you needed. Try it out, don’t be scared, learn how to cook okra with us.
Get creative with Vegetarian Lima beans okra stew
Other colorful ingredients add both nutritional value and freshness to this amazing okra recipe. For example, tomatoes add color but offer juiciness, and enough onion and garlic help to cut some of the slimy textures that people dislike. You can serve this okra stew recipe with any carbs. Fun fact, tomatoes are rich in antioxidants and vitamins while onions contribute a good percentage of manganese in a meal. Bottom-line, you should be able to know how to cook okra with the ample resources provided here.
Overall, this dish is quite simple to construct and it will certainly take you to flavor town. I want to hear from you. What else did you add to vegetarian plain oil lima beans okra stew? Did you add bell peppers, peas?
- 2-pound Okra
- Fresh lima/butter beans
- 3 Tomatoes/ 1 tomato can
- 1 whole onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Habanero(optional)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 4 cups broth
- ¼ cup salsa
- Dice the onion and the garlic cloves, add 1/3 cup sunflower oil to your cooking pot or pan.
- On medium heat saute the garlic until it turns into a beautiful golden brown and then add onion.
- Add okra to the garlic and onion, stir on medium heat
- Grate tomatoes, if using canned tomatoes drain the tomato juice to control the salt in the canned tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes to the mixture and stir
- Add 1/4 cup of salsa to the mixture for sweetness, continue stirring.
- Leave the mixture to reduce, all the liquids from the Salsa and tomatoes must reduce. When the reduction process is complete you won’t notice any liquids dripping from the tomatoes on the side of the pot.
- Add 4 cups of broth to the okra stew.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and habanero (optional step). Stir the stew
- While simmering add lima beans to the stew.
- Add seitan (optional step)
- Stir the stew and mix the ingredients in the pot for a better cook. Leave the stew to simmer.
- As the lima beans okra stew nears completion you will notice that the stew has no slime.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (optional step). Allow the okra stew to simmer.
the ingredients that you will need to cook the vegetarian lima beans okra stew recipe. Please note that some of the ingredients are optional if you do not have any at your disposal do not worry much.